HPA’s spring production of Noël Coward’s ‘Hay Fever’ dates have been announced! Click the red link to learn more.
Concussion Management Protocol
In addition to baseline testing, effective immediately, the Athletic Department at Hawai‘i Preparatory Academy is adopting the following concussion management protocol. All HPA faculty members and coaches will follow this protocol:
When an athlete shows any signs or symptoms of a concussion:
- The athlete will not be allowed to return to play in the current practice or game.
- The athlete will not be left alone and regular monitoring (by the school’s athletic trainer) for deterioration is essential.
- The athlete will be medically evaluated by a physician following the injury.
- Return to play criteria will follow a medically-supervised, stepwise process.
Return to Play Criteria
- No activity, complete rest. Once asymptomatic, proceed to the next step.
- One or more of these objective exams will be used on a case-by-case basis: ImPACT, Graded Symptom Checklist (GSC), Standardized Assessment of Concussion (SAC), Balance Error Scoring System (BESS), Sport Concussion Assessment Tool 2 (SCAT2).
- Light aerobic exercise, such as walking or stationary biking.
- Sports-specific training (e.g., jogging, running).
- Non-contact position specific drills.
- Full contact after medically cleared by physician AND HPA’s athletic trainer using all available data.
- Return to full contact with no restrictions.
This protocol reflects the most current information we have available; this new standard of care is similar to what will be required of elite and professional athletes. Essentially, there will be NO same-day return to play following a concussion. Post-concussion management will follow a step-by-step return to play criteria where ALL steps must be followed.