Please login to view more relevant resources and information.

Forgot your login?

Please enter your email address. Instructions for retrieving your username and password will be emailed to you.

Create Account

You have been sent an email with your login information.

If you do not have a username and password, please supply the following information and click Continue. Your email address will be your username.

Create a new Password

Please enter your username and create a new password.


Parent Tools

Magnus Health will be back shortly under your myHPA account. Please check back shortly for updates.

Parent Resources

Health Resources and Information

The Health Services Department works to improve each student’s health by providing the following

  • Administration of first aid; treating minor medical problems, e.g. cuts and bruises;
  • Counseling and referral for social, emotional, and physical problems;
  • Monitoring diseases to control their spread;
  • Working with the Department of Health to provide screening services;
  • Maintaining a safe and healthy school environment;
  • Teaching health-related topics such as nutrition, alcohol, tobacco, and drugs (ATOD), sexuality, including human reproduction, and interpersonal relationships.

The Hawai‘i State Department of Health requires accurate and complete medical records for school attendance. These records also are necessary to give your child good medical care. The school doctors and nurses use three forms: the Student Health Record, Physical Examination form, and the Dental Examination form. These forms must be completed and returned to the school by June 15 so they can be processed and on file by the time the student arrives at school. Students who do not have current health records on file will not be allowed to register for classes. Parents of a new student should contact their child’s previous school and have all health records forwarded to the Health Services Department at HPA.

At the Village Campus

The K-8 infirmary is located in the Village Campus administration building and is open every day from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

At the Upper School

The HPA Health Services Department believes that healthy students are best equipped to benefit from any learning opportunities. The health staff promotes the health of students by providing health and counseling services and by working with the administration, faculty, and staff to ensure a healthy school environment. Students with questions or concerns regarding any aspect of their health are encouraged to visit the health center at any time to speak with the nurse on duty.

Counseling Appointments

Nurses are available to speak to students about health or other concerns. Nurses also can make referrals to the counselor or other health providers. Students may contact the school counselor directly (ext. 4038).

Drug/Alcohol Policy

Hawai‘i Preparatory Academy
Drug/Alcohol Policy
p. 30, Upper School Student & Parent Handbook

Please be advised that the following policies, rules, and regulations now apply to the possession or use of marijuana or other illicit substances that might also be referred to as “contraband.”

Case precedent concerning the use or possession of contraband on campus began as of August 28, 2008. Dispositions in cases in previous years have obviously been well-intended, but these dispositions seem to have sent mixed messages to certain members of our community. In an area as important as this, mixed messages derived from past cases serve no one well. We can do better. Toward this end, please be advised that these earlier dispositions will no longer be regarded as setting precedent for the school to follow in cases arising henceforth. Any past cases are history. They will have no bearing on similar cases arising from this point forward. Our building of case precedent begins now.

  1. We are not naïve. We recognize that we are not immune from the same issues with which society at large must grapple. Thus, we know that a few students can make mistakes in an area such as this, and we believe that some students making such a mistake are entitled to a healthy dose of compassion if they recognize the mistake and ask for help. With these thoughts in mind, an HPA student who self-discloses to the Upper School principal, the dean of student life, or the assistant headmaster the use of a substance BEFORE that particular student has been identified by administration officials for urinalysis or other drug testing, that student will be given a chance to remain at HPA. This chance will be extended provided that the student complies fully and successfully with any treatment or counseling which the school will arrange (at the family’s expense) and, provided further, that the student successfully completes such period of probationary enrollment as the school may determine to be appropriate. This is our “One Chance Policy.” All students, parents, and guardians are asked to commit this policy to memory and to take it to heart.
  2. A student who has availed herself/himself of our One Chance Policy and then later possesses or uses contraband on campus will either be dismissed from school or, depending on the facts and circumstances of the case, be permitted to withdraw in lieu of dismissal.
  3. A student who, without any previous One Chance Policy involvement, is discovered for the first time to be using or possessing contraband on campus will be dismissed for a minimum of one semester. Depending on the facts and circumstances of the case, the student may be extended the opportunity to re-apply for admission, provided that the student has successfully complied with such terms and conditions as were imposed at the time of the student’s separation from HPA. If re-admitted, the student’s status will be probationary until the student is advised otherwise. A student who commits a first offense, is dismissed, is re-admitted, and later commits a second offense of possessing or using marijuana or other illicit substance on campus will be dismissed permanently from the school or, perhaps, offered the opportunity to withdraw in lieu of permanent dismissal.
  4. A student found to be distributing contraband or who has possession, custody, or control of contraband with the intent to distribute will be dismissed permanently without any opportunity for withdrawal or re-enrollment in the future.
  5. Any student possessing contraband or use paraphernalia, contraband residue in any amount, or any compound or agent designed to mask the use of contraband will be subject to severe punishment as determined on a case-by-case basis by the headmaster or the assistant headmaster following the receipt of a report from either the Honor System or the Citizenship System or an administrative panel convened to weigh the facts and develop a dispositional recommendation.
  6. Concerning the terms “probationary status” and “probation”, they can have varying definitions from school to school. Here at HPA, a student on probation will be deemed subject to immediate termination of enrollment if she/he commits any major offense or amasses any significant accumulation of minor offenses that, in the opinion of school officials, indicates a significant lack of desire or effort to remain in the HPA community as a positive presence

Ours is a fine school and with a boost of clarity and consistency in this important behavioral area, this will remain the case. The vast majority of our students are here for all the right reasons. This being the case, we need to make sure we do our level best to maintain for these young people an environment in which living and learning in the healthiest of ways is promoted and where rules and expectations are not subject to misunderstanding or varying interpretations.

Parents and guardians, we ask for your assistance in this endeavor. As we will be doing here on campus, please connect with your sons and daughters regarding the importance of this subject matter. Please impress upon them that HPA is all about being a safe, hospitable, and healthy community of learning.

[from US Student Handbook 2009-2010]

Eye Care

If your boarding child wears contact lenses or glasses, it is recommended that he/she bring an extra pair to school in case of breakage or loss. Please include a copy of his/her prescription with the health forms. If your child needs glasses for sports, please be sure he/she has an appropriate pair to wear.

Health Appointments and Transportation


Many of our students have their own family physicians and we encourage them to continue to schedule appointments with them as needed. As a convenience to our students who might not have a local physician, or for those students who are unable to travel off campus during the school day, HPA works with Waimea pediatrician Dr. Virginia Hatch-Pigott. Dr. Hatch-Pigott offers clinics for HPA students several times per week and by appointment, or as needed, on Fridays. Appointments can be scheduled for illness, general health maintenance, and HPA physicals by calling the HPA Infirmary at 808-881-4022 during regular office hours, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday.

Students are urged to complete routine dental work, eye examinations, and any procedures requiring lengthy appointments, e.g. application of braces and tooth extractions, during vacation periods in order to minimize school absences. If a health appointment must be scheduled during the school day, the student is required to bring a health provider’s note to the nurse upon his/her return to school. Students leaving campus for health appointments need to sign out and sign back in at the health center.

Boarding Students: The Health Services Department works with the health providers in the area to schedule appointments when they are needed and at times that will minimize the negative impact on the student’s academic schedule and the nurses’ work schedule. We ask that parents of boarding students allow the nursing staff to schedule any health appointments.

The nursing staff will provide transportation to health appointments for boarding students. When necessary, transportation to health appointments outside of Waimea will be arranged and a transportation fee of up to $90 will be charged. In some instances when a nursing staff member is not available to drive, the student may need to use a taxi service. To avoid prolonged class absences and extra charges, we strongly urge students to use the services of health providers located in Waimea.

Health Center

Nurses on duty provide health care and counseling and make referrals as needed. There always is a nurse on call whenever the Health Services Department is closed. As an additional precaution, all dorm faculty members are trained to deal with minor illnesses and injuries. The health center is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and on Saturdays from 7:30 a.m. to noon when school is in session.


Students who become ill or injured while on campus should report to the health center immediately. If a nurse is unavailable, the student should contact the Upper School Office (ext. 4002) or the nearest faculty member. If a day student becomes ill during the school day and wishes to go home, the nurse will require permission from a parent or guardian before the student will be allowed to leave campus. All students must report to the health center when they are too ill to attend sports.

Boarders who are ill and wish to be seen by a physician should report to the health center between 7:30 and 7:45 a.m. The nurse on duty will determine whether a student should see a doctor. In an emergency, the student will be taken immediately to the doctor or to the emergency room. If a student is too ill to leave the dorm room, he/she should contact the health center (ext. 4022) through the dorm head or faculty member on duty so a dorm visit can be arranged with the nurse. A student will not receive a medical excuse from class, sports, or other required activity unless he/she has seen or spoken to the nurse. Absence without a medical excuse from the nurse is considered a cut.

For a Request for Exemption from Immunization on Religious Grounds form please click here.


Non-prescription medications such as Tylenol and Tums will be administered as deemed appropriate by the nurse or other HPA staff.

Day Students: Day students taking controlled and/or psychoactive medications will have their medication administered by health staff. Parents/guardians of day students who take medications on a daily basis may have the health services staff administer medication to their child or allow their child to self-administer his/her medication. The following requirements and guidelines pertain to day students taking medications:

A completed “Request for Administration/Storage of Medication” form must be on file. This form can be obtained from the Health Services Department or downloaded from the HPA Web site (

Students who self-administer their medications must complete the “Self-Administration” form and may only bring a one-day dose to school each day. This form can be obtained from the Health Services Department or downloaded from the HPA Web site (

Injectable medications and supplies will be stored in the health center and administered there.

Students are not to give any medications to another student. Disciplinary action is warranted should this occur.

If a day student will be self-administering his/her own controlled and/or psychoactive medications, the Request for Self-Administration of Medication form must include a waiver signed by parents/guardians stating the parents/guardians are responsible for making sure that their child properly stores and self-administers his/her medication.

Boarding Students: Parents/guardians of boarding students who take non-prescription or prescription medications on a regular basis are required to inform the school health staff. A student taking a prescription medication on a regular basis is required to have in his/her health file an evaluation by a physician, which provides a diagnosis, the name of the medication, and a treatment plan. Any changes in medication or dosage must be ordered by a physician.

A permission form signed by the student’s parent or guardian authorizing the administration of medication by school staff. Forms can be obtained from the Health Services Department. Controlled and/or psychoactive medications must be administered by the nurses or designated school staff. In accordance with standard nursing practice, the school nurse may refuse to administer any medication, which, based upon her assessment and professional judgment has the potential to be harmful, dangerous, or is inappropriate until the prescribing physician has been consulted. The school nurse also will communicate significant observations regarding medication effectiveness and adverse effects to the prescribing physician and parents/guardians.

Overnight Nursing Care

On occasion, a boarding student may need to remain in the infirmary overnight. A $95 per night fee will be charged to the student’s account to help cover the cost of hiring a night nurse.

Specialists Available



Aimee Love, Certified Substance Abuse Counselor
64-5191 Kinohou Street
Kamuela, HI 96743
(808) 937-1446

Dr. Jamuna Wyss, Psychologist
65-1235A Opelo Rd. Suite 1
Kamuela, HI 96743
(808) 885-5566

Claren Kealoha-Beaudet, Psychologist
65-1235A Opelo Rd
Ha’ina Cottage #4
Kamuela, HI 96743
(808) 887-1401


Dr. Wason, Certified Substance Abuse Counselor
Lokahi Treatment Centers
Honoka’a (808) 775-7707
Waikoloa (808) 883-0922


Chris Au
Access Capabilities, Inc.
(808) 334-0979


Big Island Substance Abuse Council
234 Waianuenue Avenue, Suite 104
Hilo, HI 96720
(808) 969-9994

Ke Ala Pono Recovery Center
305 Wailuku Dr., Hilo, HI
(808) 969-7577


Castle Medical Center
640 Ulukahiki Street
Kailua, HI 96743
(808) 263-5394
Honolulu (808) 596-0050
Windward (808) 247-4466
Haleiwa (808) 637-8003

Hawaii Counseling & Education Center
970 North Kalaheo Avenue, A102
Kailua, HI 96734
(808) 254-6484

Hina Mauka Recovery Center
45-845 Po’okela Street
Kaneohe, HI 96744
(808) 236-2600
Waipahu (808) 671-6900


Maui Youth & Family Services
200 Ike Drive
Makawao, HI 96768
(808) 579-8414 ext. 29


Ke Ala Pono Recovery Center
4374 Kukui Grove Street #104
Lihue, HI 96766
(808) 246-0663

Voluntary Random Drug Testing (VRDT)

With the support of HPA’s ‘Ohana Association, our Health and Wellness team introduced the Voluntary Random Drug Testing Program (VRDT) in the 2010-2011 school year. This program, though voluntary, requires every Upper School student and family to complete a form either enrolling in or declining to participate as part of the beginning-of-school enrollment process. Both the student and at least one parent (or legal guardian) are required to sign the form, which is sent to parents by e-mail and available online.

Download the form here

HPA continues to provide a myriad of drug education and prevention activities for students and families through our Health and Wellness program; VRDT is just one more facet of our existing programs. VRDT is designed to empower our students to say "NO" to drugs and to help families communicate with their children about this threat to our youth.

We would like to acknowledge the support and assistance we’ve received from Mid-Pacific Institute on O‘ahu. Mid-Pacific Institute adopted a VRDT program in 2005, which has proven to be very successful since its inception.

Questions about VRDT or other drug education and prevention questions may be addressed to Head of Health Services Carolyn Jarvill at 808-881-4022 (; Mark Noetzel, dean of citizenship, honor, and security, at 808-881-4002 (; or Fred Wawner, dean of students, at 808-881-4290 (