HPA purchases group flights to O‘ahu and Kauai during these times of the year:
- Beginning of school
- Upper School freshmen and new boarders - August 12, 2018
- Upper School returning boarders (grades 10-12) - August 14, 2018
- Thanksgiving break November 20-25, 2018
- Winter break December 13, 2018 - January 6, 2019
- Spring break March 7 - 24, 2019
- End of school May 22, 2019
- Commencement May 24, 2019
Please contact me if you require assistance by phone 808-881-4033; FAX 808-881-4045; or email me here.
Mrs. LeeAnn Ganley
Student Life & Travel Coordinator
- Flight Reservations and Ticketing
- Airport Transportation
- International Students
- Travel Information
- F-1 Student Visa Information
We recommend that you set your final destination as Kona (airport code: KOA), on the island of Hawai‘i. Families flying through Honolulu (airport code: HNL), on the island of O‘ahu, MUST take a 40-minute interisland flight to Kona.
Most boarding students make four roundtrip flights to school a year: at the beginning and the end of the school year, and for Thanksgiving, winter, and spring vacations.
Prior to each vacation period, you will receive a Parent Travel form. Please complete, sign, and return this form to us promptly. By returning this form, you are giving your child permission to leave school for a particular destination, allowing our travel coordinator to purchase an airline ticket, or informing us of plans you already have made.
HPA’s official travel days are listed here and represent the only days on which students may arrive to stay in, or depart from, the dorms. Students are not allowed in the dorms prior to official arrival days, or after official departure days, as the residential program is not structured to provide adequate supervision outside these times. Parents/guardians must adhere to these expectations and make travel plans accordingly.
Students may arrive in the dorms:
- The day before programs start at the beginning of the year.
- The day before programs start after a holiday break.
Students may depart from the dorms:
- After their last exam prior to winter break.
- After their last program obligation prior to spring break.
- After final exams end, through the day after graduation at the end of the school year.
The only standing exception is for circumstances mandated by flight schedules.
If your child must change travel plans, please notify us immediately by telephone 808-881-4033, fax 808-881-4045, or e-mail to email@example.com. Please direct all changes and inquiries to the travel coordinator.
When possible, HPA provides bus transportation to/from the Kona Airport for group flight arrivals and departures.
With sufficient advance notice, the school travel coordinator will arrange for individual taxi service to and from the Kona Airport. Parents/guardians and students are encouraged to provide the travel coordinator with travel information as soon as it is available if they wish to take advantage of this service. Parents/guardians are responsible for all transportation fees.
We DO NOT meet any flights at the Hilo airport. The approximate cost for one-way taxi service between HPA and Kona (40 miles) is $130.