What To Bring Or Purchase On Arrival
Students must supply the following items for their personal use in the dormitories. All items should be clearly and indelibly marked with the owner’s name. For convenience, the HPA Student Store carries school supplies, postcards, stamps, and snacks.
- Alarm Clock/Watch
- Bath Items: Toiletries, shower caddy, shower shoes, and bathrobe.
- Bedding: One pillow, two sets of twin sheets and pillow cases, blanket, comforter, or bedspread. The nights can be cool in Waimea and the dorms are not heated.
- Clothing: Personal clothing must meet school dress standards. Include a wind and waterproof jacket.
- Desk Lamp: Incandescent (< 60 watts), LED, or fluorescent lamps only—no halogen lamps.
- Formal Attire: long dress pants, button up collared dress shirt or suit with a neck tie, dress, skirt, or blouse.
- Laundry Supplies: Detergent, cleaning supplies, and laundry basket/bag.
- Padlock: To secure valuables in personal lock drawer.
- Reusable water bottle
- Towels: Two bath sets and one beach towel.
- Wastebasket (small)
- Computer: To minimize compatibility issues, Apple Macs are recommended for students bringing their own computers. Monitors may not exceed 26" in height or width.
Although most dorm rooms are designed for two residents, space is limited and students should be thoughtful about and minimize what they bring. Roommates are encouraged to share larger items, especially those that draw extra current, such as refrigerators, to conserve both space and electricity.
- Dehumidifier: An additional electricity use fee will be charged.
- Dishes and Utensils: Students wishing to use the dorm kitchenettes must have their own microwave-safe dishes and eating utensils.
- Food Storage Container: Students planning to keep non-refrigerated food in their rooms should bring a medium-sized plastic tub with a tight lid.
- Hair Dryer
- Outdoor Gear: Students interested in participating in outdoor activities (hiking, kayaking, camping, surfing, fishing) should bring their personal gear.
- Power Strip: Students who need more than two electrical outlets must bring a fusible power strip/surge protector. Extension cords are not permitted.
- Refrigerator: Students may purchase, bring, or rent a small, dorm-style refrigerator. An additional electricity use fee will be charged based on the size of the refrigerator. Please check with your dorm head about rentals.
The following items are not allowed in the dormitories. The dorm parent staff reserves the right to decide if any item represents a safety hazard or is not in keeping with community standards.
- Drugs, alcohol, nicotine products of any kind.
- Animals of any kind.
- Weapons, simulated weapons or potentially dangerous items of any kind, including knives, martial arts equipment, or guns.
- Any heat producing or cooking devices, (e.g. hot plate, hot pot, toaster, coffee maker, microwave oven), space heaters, or electric blankets.
- Any items that create flame (e.g. matches or lighters).
- Any flammable materials such as lighter fluid, camp stove fuel, or fireworks.
- Halogen bulb lamps.
- Flammable lampshades.
- Room dividers, partitions, or screens.
- Prescription or over-the-counter drugs, unless permitted by the school nurse.
- Traditional televisions or computer screens; flat screen monitors are permitted.
- Posters, pictures, literature or other items that reference alcohol, drugs, tobacco, violence, hatred, or inappropriate sexual themes.
- Computer/TV monitors exceeding 26".
After 30 days, personal items left in the dormitories after a student is no longer enrolled at HPA will be considered abandoned and donated to local charities.