New Boarding Student FAQs

Where can I shop in Waimea?

For groceries, choose from Foodland, KTA Supermarket, and Healthways II (Natural Foods). Housewares, hardware, and supplies can be found at Kamuela Ace Hardware or Longs Drugs. Several boutiques and gift stores are near these businesses too such as Waimea General Store, HIC Hawaiian Island Creations, and Gallery of Great Things. All these stores are within a two block stretch on either side of Mamalahoa Hwy. To reach them from HPA, head southeast on Kawaihae Rd. about two miles, then turn left at the light onto Mamalahoa Hwy.

Where can I shop in Kona?

In Kona you can find several big name stores all in one area such as Target, Office Max, and Ross Dress-For-Less. To reach these stores in Kona from HPA, head west on H19/Kawaihae Road for about eight miles, turn left onto Queen Kaahumanu Hwy. and continue for about 32 miles, then turn right on Makala Blvd. Target is on the left; Office Max and Ross are on the right.

Kona also has a Macy's department store. Diections: from HPA, head west on H19/Kawaiahe Road for about 8 miles, turn left onto Queen Kaahumanu Hwy. for about 32 miles, turn left on Makala Blvd., then take the first right onto Kamakaeha Ave. Macy's is on the left.

To reach Wal-Mart in Kona from HPA, head west on H19/Kawaihae Road for about eight miles, turn left onto Queen Kaahumanu Hwy. and continue for about 33 miles, turn left onto Hawaii Belt Road, turn right onto Henry Street. Wal-Mart is on the right.

How can my child get to town for groceries and other amenities?

There are several ways. Wednesday evenings, and every Saturday and Sunday afternoon, the dorm faculty run shuttle buses to the local shopping centers. Remember, however, you must always sign out properly before leaving campus.

What is my child's mailing address?

Student Name
Hawai‘i Preparatory Academy
65-1692 Kohala Mountain Road
Kamuela, HI 96743

Will my child receive an e-mail account at HPA?

Yes. Your child will receive an HPA e-mail account. As an example, a student named John Smith will be assigned an e-mail address of unless that address already is taken, then it will be (or the next available number).

Where should my child go if they needs help with their computer?

HPA's IT department can help with computer hardware and software problems and can assist with usage questions.

What are some of the activities my child will be participating in during free time and weekends?

When your child is not engaged in classes, sports, and study hall, our staff organizes evening games, ice-cream socials, dances, and movies. Weekend activities take place off campus where students are exposed to the natural splendor Hawaii Island has to offer. Some excursions include glass bottom boat rides, zip-lining through the rain forest, and beach trips.

Is there a hospital or emergency room close by?

North Hawai'i Community Hospital is a modern, fully equipped hospital located in the town of Kamuela within a 10-minute drive from our campus. The emergency room at the hospital is open 24 hours a day and is staffed by qualified emergency room physicians and nurses.

What should my child do if they don't feel well?

During the school day, your child can visit the school infirmary. Nurses are available to see students between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. At the Upper Campus, the infirmary is located on the lower level of Taylor Commons (below the dining room.) A nurse is on call whenever the infirmary is closed to give health advice and to transport your child to the emergency room if needed. If your child needs care after hours, they should contact the dorm faculty on duty who will contact the nurse on call.

What is a prefect?

Prefects are student leaders in the residence halls. They are upperclassmen who have been selected to serve as peer guides, helpers, and role models in residential life. They are excellent sources of information and support for all boarding students.

How can my child get allowance?

On Wednesday and Friday once a week during lunch from Mrs. Stevens at the Wishard Administration building. Each family decides the weekly amount; we recommend $25 per week.

How is laundry handled?

The school provides free laundry facilities and laundry training is provided. Students need to purchase their own laundry soap.

Can my child sign out to a friend's house on the weekends?

Boarding students often sign out to day students or local 5 day boarders' homes for the weekend. The residential community uses a program called Boardingware that utilizes a leave system for weekend leave requests. Your child first puts in a leave request, which then triggers email permission requests to you and the host family. All permissions must be received in order for the leave to be approved. You can contact our Leavemaster, Ms. LeeAnn Ganley, with any questions about weekend leaves at