News

'Ohana Board

‘Ohana Association (‘Ohana) works to grow HPA bond, create great memories, and enhance the HPA experience for all. HPA's strength is the result of our community's commitment to one another through collective passion, hard work, and support of everyone touched by the school. The time, energy, and resources devoted by alumni, parents, and friends provide the strength of the foundation on which the HPA experience is built.

We welcome your comments and questions. Any of the officers or directors can be reached via ohana_communications@hpa.edu



'Ohana Board Information

Meet the Board Members

EXECUTIVE OFFICERS

President: Tori Schneider (P’17 ‘19) ohana_president@hpa.edu

Vice-Presidents:

Secretary: Emily Hoover (P’27 '30) ohana_secretary@hpa.edu

Communications: Emily Hoover (P’27 '30) ohana_communications@hpa.edu

Treasurer: Barb Davis (P‘18 ‘21) ohana_treasurer@hpa.edu

DIRECTORS

Events:

    • Chair for Lower Events - MJ Allison (P’28 '31)
    • Chair for Sports - Katherine Groves (P’18)
    • Chair for Theatre - Heidi Emmons (P’17’19)

Boarding Parents/Liaison: Joan Stewart (P’20)

Fundraising: Barbara Hughes (P’20 ‘22)

Nominating Committee: Executive Board

Parent Education/Community Outreach: Karen Goore (P’)

Teacher Appreciation: Melissa Virtue (P’16 ‘19)

Welcoming Committee:

    • Upper School - Tim Bostock (P’21)
    • Village Campus - Monica Hattoon Green (P'27) and Clara Anderson (P'29)

By Laws

Article I - Name

The name of the organization shall be the Hawai’i Preparatory Academy ‘Ohana Association, hereinafter referred to as the “Association”.

Article II - Purpose

The purpose of the Association is to provide a volunteer organization that reinforces the stated mission and core values of the school (HPA) on behalf of its parent members as follows:

“The mission of Hawai’i Preparatory Academy is to provide exceptional learning opportunities in a diverse community honoring the traditions of Hawai’i;

By sponsoring events and participating in events that promote a sense of community among the parents, faculty and staff of HPA;

By supporting open communications between the parent body and the school’s administration and faculty;

By raising funds, in cooperation with the Development Office, to financially support Association sponsored events and to provide financial support to the school.

Article III - Members

Section 1. Any parent or guardian of a student at HPA and who has paid their Association dues may be a member and shall having voting rights. Any faculty, administration, or staff employed at the school and who has paid Association dues may be a member and have voting rights.

Section 2. Dues are assessed at $40 per family. Dues amount may be adjusted with equal consent by the school and executive board of the Association. A member must have paid his or her dues at least 14 calendar days before the meeting to be considered a member in good standing with voting rights.

Article IV - Officers, Board of Directors and Elections

Section 1. Officers. The officers shall be a President, three Vice-Presidents, Secretary and Treasurer.

President. The President shall preside over meetings of the Association and executive board, serve as the primary contact for the Head of School, serve as liaison to the Board of Trustees, represent the Association at meetings outside the Association, serve as an ex officio member of all committees except the nominating committee, and coordinate the work of all of the officers and committees so that the purpose of the Association is served.

Vice Presidents. There shall be one vice president for each of the Upper School, the Middle School, the Lower School. The Vice Presidents shall oversee and assist in all subcommittees and activities in their respective “schools” and report back to the full board at monthly meetings. The Upper School Vice President shall assist the president and carry out the president’s duties in his or her absence or inability to serve.

Secretary. The secretary shall keep all records of the Association, take and record minutes, prepare the agenda, handle correspondence and send notices of the meetings to the membership. The secretary also keeps a copy of the minutes book, bylaws, rules, membership list, and any other necessary supplies, and brings them to meetings.

Treasurer. The treasurer shall receive all funds of the Association, keep an accurate record of receipts and expenditures, and coordinate the paying out of funds in accordance with the approval of the executive board. He or she will present a financial statement at every meeting and at other times of the year when requested by the executive board, and make a full report at the end of the year.

Section 2. Board of Directors. The Board of Directors shall consist of the officers and other individuals who have been voted onto the Board. There shall be at least 3 Board Members from each of the High, Middle and Lower schools. There shall be no more than 17 Board of Directors and no less than 10.

Duties. The duties of the Board of Directors shall be to create standing rules and policies, create standing and temporary committees and lead the implementation of activities associated with those committees, approve routine bills, and prepare recommendations to the membership.

Quorum. Half the number of board members plus one constitutes a quorum.

Section 3. Nominations and Elections. Elections will be held at the annual meeting of the Association in April each year. The Director of nominations shall put forward a candidate for each office and each board of director position and present the proposed slate at a Board meeting held one month prior to the election. At the annual Association meeting in April, nominations may also be made from the floor. Voting at the annual meeting shall be by voice vote. If there is more than one nomination per office, a ballot vote shall be taken on those positions only.

Section 4. Eligibility. Members are eligible to be on the board or an officer if they are members in good standing at least 14 calendar days before the nominating committee presents its slate.

Section 5. Terms of Office. Officers are elected for one year and may serve no more than two (2) consecutive terms in the same office. The Upper School Vice President shall move into the position of President after serving one year. The President shall stay on the Association Board for one additional year after their term is over. If for some reason the Upper School Vice President cannot serve as president, the Middle School or Lower School Vice President will be offered the position of President. Board of Directors are elected for a two year term and can serve no more than two (2) consecutive terms.

Section 6. Vacancies. If there is a vacancy in the office of the President, the Upper School Vice President will become President. At the next regularly scheduled meeting, a new Vice President will be elected. If there is a vacancy in any other office, members will fill the vacancy through an election at the next regular meeting.

Section 7. Removal From Office. Officers can be removed from office with or without cause by a two-thirds vote of those present (assuming a quorum) at a regular meeting where previous notice has been given.

Article V - Meetings

Section 1. Regular Meetings of the Board of Directors. The meetings of the Board of Directors shall be held once a month with the time and location to be at the discretion of the Board. Location will be sent out by the secretary prior to each meeting. These meetings will be closed to Board of Directors only and Board approved invited guests.

Section 2. Meetings of the ‘Ohana Association. There will be three meetings per year when the full ‘Ohana Association will be encouraged to attend; one in the Fall, one in the Winter, and the annual meeting in April. Members of the Association will be notified at least three weeks prior to the meeting. The quorum shall be 15 members of the Association.

Section 3. Special Meetings. Special meetings may be called by the President, any two members of the Board of Directors, or five general members submitting a written request to the Secretary. Previous notice of the special meeting shall be sent to the members at least 10 days prior to the meeting by a notice in the HPA webpage and other means deemed appropriate by the Communication Director.

Article VI - Committees

Section 1. Membership. Committees may consist of members and board members, with the president acting as an ex officio member of all committees.

Section 2. Standing Committees. The following committees shall be held by the Association: Welcoming, Communication, Teacher Appreciation, Membership and Nominating, HPA Community Outreach, Fundraising, Village Campus Activities, Student/Parent Education, Boarding Students, and After School Activities. Each committee shall have a Director assigned from the Board of Directors to facilitate the activities associated with that committee.

Section 3. Additional Committees. The board may appoint additional committees as needed.

Article VII - Finances

Section 1. A tentative budget shall be drafted in the fall for each school year and approved by a majority vote of the members present.

Section 2. The treasurer shall keep accurate records of any disbursements, income, and bank account information.

Section 3. The board of directors shall approve all expenses of the organization.

Section 4. Two authorized signatures shall be required on each check requisition over the amount of $500. Authorized signers shall be the President, Treasurer and Secretary.

Section 5. Monies received shall be held in an HPA ‘Ohana Association account under the School’s General Ledger. These funds are the responsibility of the Association and may be used at the discretion of the Board of Directors. An accurate account of all income and disbursements shall be maintained with the understanding that the financial records are subject to review as part of the annual audit of the School’s financial records. An annual report of income and expenses shall be given to the Board of Trustees of the School.

Article VIII - Parliamentary Authority

Robert’s Rules of Order shall govern meetings when they are not in conflict with the organization’s bylaws.

Article IX - Standing Rules

Standing rules may be approved by the Board of Directors, and the Secretary shall keep a record of the standing rules for future reference.

Article X - Amendments

These bylaws may be amended at any regular or special meeting, providing that previous notice was given in writing at the prior board of directors meeting and then sent to all members of the board of directors by the Secretary. Amendments will be approved by a two-thirds vote of those present, assuming a quorum.

ADDENDUM 1

‘OHANA ASSOCIATION SUPPORTED EVENTS

ALL SCHOOL ASSOCIATION SUPPORTED EVENTS

  • Ohana General Meetings
  • Waimea Christmas Parade - Float and Hospitality Tent
  • Alu Mai

ASSOCIATION SUPPORTED EVENTS HONORING FACULTY/STAFF

  • Welcome - New Faculty
  • Welcome - All Teachers
  • Teacher Appreciation - November and April

UPPER SCHOOL ASSOCIATION SUPPORTED EVENTS

  • Survival Lei for New Boarding Students
  • Registration Breakfast
  • E Komo Mai
  • Upper School Dances
  • Grad Night

VILLAGE CAMPUS SCHOOL ASSOCIATION SUPPORTED EVENTS

  • E Komo Mai
  • Middle School Orientation Breakfast
  • Lower School - First Day of School Breakfast
  • Trunk or Treat
  • Room Parent Funding - K through 8
  • Christmas Lighting
  • Art Show and Capstone Showcase

Approved and Ratified on 4/16/17

'Ohana Board Minutes

November 7, 2017

Meeting Notes for ʻOhana Association Board Meeting
November 2, 2017

8:00 am Taylor Commons

Call to Order:

Those present: Emily Hoover, MJ Allison, Melissa Virtue, Jan Savage, Barb Davis, Barb Hughes, Lani Kiyota, Heidi Emmons, Gray Henderson, Katherine Groves

Guests: Janet Melton, Hamilton Ford, Ada Benson

Approval of Minutes from October Board meeting: Voted and approved

  1. Report from Student Council Representative: Ada Benson

A. Parade: She will make announcements at the next meeting and assembly to get volunteers for the parade

  1. Bus at UC will be decorated, as well as golf carts (need maintenance request)
  2. Wear red HPA shirts

B. Holiday lighting: She liked the idea and thinks students will love having UC decorated

  1. She will try to brainstorm other ideas for the event
  2. Need to coordinate with Sedexo for influx of extra day students for dinner. Possibly school will absorb cost. Janet will ask
  3. Possibly use JOY letters at entrance which light up at night. Melissa will follow up

II. Report from VP Lower School: MJ for Lisa

  1. Trunk or Treat: went well. will submit wrap up sheet
  2. Nov 16 is Book Fair: 5:30 - 8:30 and will show Movie and provide chili

III. Report from VP Middle School: Michelle (absent)

IV. Report from VP Upper School: Melissa

A. Fall 2017 Teacher Appreciation

1. Gabriella Mata is confirmed for 11/16-11/17

2. Expense Budget submitted

3. Lani:

  • Submit TA announcement for HPA Parent Connection (with link to food donation sign up sheet)
  • Create food donation sign up sheet on HPA volunteer page
  • Send invitation to UC teachers for teacher appreciation with link to massage sign up sheet
  • Reminder announcement sent one week before the event directing teachers to sign up for massages

4. Janet:

  • Need 40 TA thank you notes and envelopes for VC Starbucks gift cards

5. OA Board Members:

  • Email a copy of our food donation request to 10 of your friends
  • forward all food donation sign ups to me

6. Volunteer: Deliver thank you cards to VC on 11/16

7. Volunteer: Pick up Starbucks coffee and deliver to HPA UC on 11/16-11/17 (Jan maybe)

8. Other parent volunteers: Terri Garfinkle; Jazmin Sadder; Kathleen Boeger

B. Spring 2018 Teacher Appreciation: Confirmed Thursday April 12th

C. UC Christmas Lighting

  • Submitted proposal to Bryan/Robert McKendry. Will confirm that it’s a go.

D. Gratitude Wall update?

Jan has paint and MJ and Jan volunteered to keep it rolling

E. Parent Liaison & social committee status:

  • Barbara Hughes to organize parent functions (by grade level)at local restaurants and coffee on campus

F. New Family Welcome Follow Up

  • Janet to provide list of new students with parent emails by grade level
  • OA: Lani could create an email to be sent to parents by OA representative and/or phone call to check in with parents

G. College Nights?

V. Report from Treasurer: Jan

  1. Jan provided an updated budget
    1. Kokui Funds need to be distributed
    2. Coach’s memorial may need some funding. Perhaps a plaque by the “A” on the field with the poem that he recited to the football team

VI. Report from Secretary: Barb (nothing to report)

VII. Report from Committees:

A. Welcoming Committee Director: Emily (nothing to report)

B. Communications Director: Lani

  1. Links are not working but will be worked on soon.
  2. Please send details to Lani for what you need for volunteers or donations
  3. Working on getting OA section higher on the parent newsletter

C. Fundraising : Barb Hughes

  1. Free Money: Boxtops, Eat out (Underground pizza agreed to giving 20% back to school), Amazon Smile, Shredding

D. Teacher Appreciation: Melissa (see above)

E. After School Activities:

a. Theatre: Heidi

b. Sports: Katherine

  1. The Fuel Station is going very well. The students and parents love it. The only comments are that it should be for all students, not just JV and Varsity sports teams. This is a trial run period. I would like to see it eventually be for all of the students, I have heard the same from advancement and other administrative personnel at HPA. Administration said that eventually they will take over the full funding of the Fuel Station and the newly forming Booster Club will coordinate the volunteers. I think this will happen in January.

2. Barb and I will continually be working on binders for all team parents for JV and Varsity Sports. This is currently on-going.

3. MJ and I will meet in November with Paige Donnelly, Barbara Hughes, and Mel Hurney to discuss the new Booster Club for the school. We will develop a framework for the Club that we will then present to the Administration. Administration is very excited about this new development and welcomes it with open arms.

F. Student/Parent Ed and Community Outreach: Gray

1. Waimea Christmas Parade - December 2, 2017, Mike Donnelly hosted a meeting on 10/25/17. Everything is moving along smoothly.

2. Ka Makani Corner - We need volunteers to make baked goods. We are increasing our hot dogs and hot chocolate from last year.

3. Float - Heidi Emmons and Lani Kiyota

4. General Meeting - January 17, 2018, Notice will go out before Christmas break and as soon as school gets back in.

5. Upper Campus - College Counseling presentation, I still need a Village Campus presentation. Ideas?

G. Boarding Liaison: Joan

  1. Have created draft of e-mail to all 5-day boarding families to see who is interested in carpooling. Sarah Schorn will edit and distribute. Have requested responses by November 15.

H. Village Campus Activities: MJ (see above)

I. Nominating Committee: Katherine(nothing new to report)

VIII. New Business

IX. Closing

October 4, 2017

Meeting Notes for ʻOhana Association Meeting
October 4, 2017
8:00am UC Taylor Commons

The following members were present:, Heidi Emmons, Jan Savage, , MJ Allison, Emily Hoover, Lani Kiyota, Bryan Riley, Lisa Salazar, Michelle Darby, Barbara Davis, Michelle Lieberman, Katherine Groves (by Facetime)

Guests present: Janet Melton, Barbara Hughes, Johnny Yoon, Hamilton Ford

Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 8:15 am.

Approval of Minutes from September meeting

A motion was made by Bryan to approve the minutes from the previous meeting. The motion was seconded by Barb, and with no objections was unanimously approved

  1. President Bryan Riley presided over the meeting.
  2. UC Activities: MJ
    1. Student Council Rep Johnny Yoon joined us with Hamilton Ford. MJ asked him to ask SC how they could be involved in the Holiday parade in December. Food was thought to be a good incentive. He will ask for feedback from other class reps at next meeting.
      1. food
      2. after parade event
      3. community service hours credit

b. Gratitude Wall: MJ presented an idea to create a gratitude wall on campuses. Chalk board area where kids could write what they are grateful for. MJ made a motion to proceed and Bryan seconded it. Board voted and approved

II. Report from VP Lower School: Lisa

  1. Hurricane Relief fundraising at VC - admin wanted student council to spearhead and Ohana to support. Waiting on details from the school on what was decided.
  2. Held VC Parents Meeting to share details of upcoming events and sign up volunteers for specific tasks
  3. Upcoming Events - working with MJ and Emily.
  1. Halloween decorating, Trunk or Treat
    1. Currently working on getting information out to families and finalizing plans with admin. HS kids will come to judge MS costume contest
    2. Ordering supplies
  2. Holiday Lighting
    1. Discussed revisting holiday lighting in the theme of winter wonderland at upper campus.

III. Report from VP Middle School: Michelle Darby

  1. Confirmed a grade parent for 7th grade - Alyssa Slaven
  2. Working with Dana Pettys to gather more parent participation forms via the advisory classes
  3. Attended the Lower Campus volunteer meeting
  1. Halloween door decorating for MS advisories

*discussed importance of having UC kids tutor MS and LS. Who can take this on?

IV. Report from VP Upper School: Melissa

  1. Homecoming Dance

1. OA Food/Beverage Contributions: we received a great response from parents and the students were thrilled with the variety. Jan has stored the extra drinks & I have the extra snacks. Surplus supplies will be stored in OA space at UC and used for teacher appreciation.

2. Expenses: $95 approximately

3. Future Dances: Brought tablecloths and some bowls from home. Next time need more serving dishes and utensils (bowls, forks, etc.).

4. Thank you email to parents who contributed food: will send this week

B. Fall Teacher Appreciation: 11/16-11/17

  1. Gabriella Mata will be masseuse
  2. Lani: please submit TA announcement for HPA Weekly Parent Email & Blurb for website
  3. Need help creating google doc for food donation signups to post on HPA volunteer page
  4. Volunteers: Melissa, Barb, Katherine, Jan, Anyone else?
  5. Janet Melton: HPA thank you notes; List of UC & VC Faculty
  6. Who do I confirm Spring TA date with? Friday, April 13th? VC cannot do 4/6 (4th grade in Volcano) but week before is the first week back from spring break. Not enough time to prepare

C. Other UC Events

  1. UC Christmas lighting & tree: Discussed a winter wonderland theme
  2. College Nights: no discussion

D. Other UC Committees

  1. Parent Liaison & social committee status? Need a way to mix parents of UC
    1. coffee at garden at lower school?
    2. parents of a given grade meet at a local restaurant (Barbara Hughes will spear head this)
    3. It was suggested to have coffee event at Taylor commons for parents (who would be in charge of this?)
  2. New family welcome committee status?
  3. List of all new students by grade with parent emails? Janet will send a new list

V. Report from Treasurer (Jan)


A. Revised Budget

1.Checks totaling $779.56 were written this month

2.A credit of ‘Ohana dues ($40.00) was refunded to one family.

3.Amazon Smile funds weren’t reflected on the activity report from Dan Petrill. Checking with Dan to

see if funds were earned but not reported.

4.Total funds available are $28,419.19 (See budget on Ohana Team Drive)


B. Christmas Parade Budget

1.Total budget this year is $2185.00

2.Snow Maker has been delivered. Total cost was $534.00

3.Charlynn Taniguchi has found a truck/trailer that will be free of charge to the ‘Ohana. This helps us

to stay within our budget of $2185.00

4. Lani has investigated buying 8 x 8 tents instead of using the scaffolding used last year. Total cost of

approximately $130.00 each, but they do not ship to Hawaii. Looking for volunteers who are traveling

to the mainland and can perhaps bring back a tent on the airlines. She is working with advancement

to promote sponsorships for the tents, and already has one commitment.

C. Hurricane Relief Fund

1. A total of $180.50 was collected over the past two weeks at Cross Country, Volleyball and Football

games.

2.The funds will be deposited with HPA accounting. I’ll request that checks be written to Americares

and Save the Children.


D. Order Amazon Smile Banners

VI. Report from Secretary: Barb

A. Nothing new to report

VII. Reports from Committees:

A. Welcoming Committee Director: Emily Hoover

A. Welcome Events Completed.


Other notes:

  • Working on getting team together to help with Anuenue Park Rebuild. Working with Willie Quayle on this. More information to come.


B. Communications Director: Lani

A. Volunteer Page

  1. Sign Up Genius
  2. Emily created shell
  3. Director/Chair responsible for entering volunteer requests
  4. Lucy to approve draft for “sponsorships”
  5. Send Lani event info to be included on ‘Ohana page or posted on FaceBook

B. HPA Communications

  1. Deadlines on Monday COB before Friday bi-weekly release
  2. Aaron wants highlights (brief) with links to ‘Ohana page references (e.g. Volunteer page)

C. Promoting ‘Ohana Assoc & Events

  1. Bi-Weekly Newsletter - send event info to Lani by Wednesday of distribution wk (goes out Friday)
  2. Sandwich boards - Requests for sandwich board to Lani no later than week prior to event. Send PDF of event promo to Lani (or request help to create)
  3. VC Glass Display by Entrance: Send details of event for VC Glass Display week before new month
  4. FaceBook: Photos and/or info regarding event for FB posting
  5. Banners / Posters: Send PDF of event promo to Lani (or request help to create)

D. Sports, Events and Community Resource Page - Coming Soon

C. Fundraising

a. Barbara Hughes was nominated to the Board by Bryan Riley. Barb DAvis seconded. WIth no objections, Barbara was voted to become a member of the Board.

b. Barbara’s position will be Director of Fundraising: Welcome Barbara!

D. Teacher Appreciation: Melissa

a. See notes under VP Upper Campus

E. After School Activities:

a. Theatre: Heidi: Met with Director and waiting to hear from Robotics club

b. Sports: Katherine

i. Team parent manuals: Barb & Katherine will work on this

ii. Fuel Station: In beta mode and the kids love it! The school will fund it going forward and Ohana will support with volunteers to administer. Let Katherine know if you can volunteer any afternoon from 2:45 - 3:30

ii. Booster Club: There is a push to restart


F. Student/Parent Ed and Community Outreach: Gray Henderson

A. General Meeting was held 9/14/17 - great turnout and feedback from those attending

1. We will get a microphone for the remaining meetings so speaking can be heard on Facebook Live.

B. General Meetings for remainder of 2017/2018 school year (6:00pm at IAC)

(Dates are showing on the Middle and Lower School calendars but NOT Upper School. I’ve e-mailed Patty Walker again to request the dates be added.)

1. January 17, 2018 (Andrew Kelsey doing College Counseling. TBA for VC presentation.)

2. April 26, 2018 - Elections

C. Waimea Christmas Parade – December 2, 2017 - IT’S GOING TO BE AMAZING!

1. Float – Heidi Emmons, chair

We have a truck to use!

Snow Machine is here

2. Ka Makani Korner - Michelle Darby/Gray Henderson, chair

Need volunteers for baked goods. Could Lower School have 2 donations from each class and Middle School have one donation from each advisory?

We can also always use more servers/cleaners if you know of any volunteers. I’m going to set up schedules for shifts so that everyone will have specific times.

3. Village Campus may possibly do their own bus for the parade.

4. Ways to get UC students involved? (see above discussion with student council)

5. Mike Donnelly suggested a contest between UC classes for 4x8 boards to be painted with a holiday theme. They would be used as decorations at the tent (leaned up against the fence?) and then placed along the drive at the Kohala entrance for the rest of the semester. It was decided to start with the Gratitude Boards at each campus. POssible idea for next year

6. I need to go through the container to count/test lights for the tent to see if we need to purchase any. How to gain access to the container? Jan will meet with her

D. Anuenue Playground - Emily Hoover

  1. Parent Team for the build week of Oct. 23-29

E. Hurricane Relief buckets

I apologize if it seems like I dropped the ball on this project. I honestly thought the cheerleaders were doing it and that we were just selecting the charity. I am so sorry!

G. Boarding Liason: Joan

A. Response from Sarah Schorn re previous inquiry about after school snacks was that the school had tried many different approaches and none seemed to work well. She asked if Ohana Association had any new ideas as they would be open to them.

B. Request from 5-day boarder’s parent regarding carpooling is still outstanding. Working with Sarah Schorn to send out e-mail to all 5-day boarding families to see who is interested in carpooling. I will be contact point.

H. Village Campus Activities: MJ Allison

I. Upper Campus Activities: Tori Schneider (absent)

I. Nominating Committee: Katherine (no report)

VIII. New Business

A. Melissa brought up concern over the petition being circulated to get rid of the cross at the chapel. A discussion ensued and Bryan will discuss with Steve Furchner

IX. Closing

The meeting was adjourned at 11:00am


September 7, 2017

August 3, 2017

June 1, 2017

May 4, 2017

April 6, 2017

'Ohana Treasurer's Reports