With just :02 seconds left on the clock, HPA’s first Big Island Interscholastic Federation football title in a decade came down to a kick. Ka Makani battled to a 0-0 draw in a defensive game against Kamehameha-Hawaii but were able to grind out one final drive behind the senior trio of Braeden Samura, Kamuela Gaughen, and Tain Lawson.
The hard-running gave Mason Hunt ’22 a shot at a 36-yard field goal to win the game.
The kick went up and silenced the crowd before falling gracefully through, nearly right down the middle, igniting a long-awaited celebration in Waimea.
“That’s why we’re Ka Makani; we’re used to that,” HPA head coach Kaluka Maiava told West Hawaii Today. “We purposely ran it to the right hash; the wind was pushing it left. Aim for the right upright, it went right down the middle.”
Check out the video of the now-legendary kick and ensuing celebration below.
The football title was the first of many for Ka Makani during the fall and winter seasons.
• HPA also claimed the league title in girls volleyball, besting Konawaena in the title game thriller 26-24, 13-25, 22-25, 25-21, 15-9.
• Both the boys and girls cross-country teams set the pace, bringing home the BIIF team titles.
• The Ka Makani girls basketball team claimed its first BIIF title since 2019 on a game-winner from standout sophomore Brooke Samura ’24, who put up 12 points and 15 rebounds against Kamehameha-Hawaii in the championship.
• Boys soccer outscored their opponents 27-1 down the stretch of the BIIF season, concluding their run with a 2-1 comeback win over Kamehameha-Hawaii in the title game.
• Our Ka Makani mixed crew were golden on the water at Hilo Bay, capturing the BIIF championship.
• In the pool it was Kouske Soler ’23 (200IM), Nereo Loreto ’23 (500 free), and Trevor Kaufman ’22 (1-meter dive) finishing atop the BIIF podium.
• On the wrestling mat, Jeremiah Borce ’22 (140-pound champ, outstanding male athlete) Kawela Takushi ’22 (119-pound champ), Jakob Honda ’23 (162-pound champ), and Luciana Cadena ’24 (134-pound champ) capturing championships in their respective weight classes.