Each spring, thanks to the kindness and generosity of alumni, parents, and friends of the school, HPA confers a host of awards to deserving students. These awards honor young scientists, poets, athletes, mathematicians, and those who are recognized for their aloha, among others. As these milestones begin to unfold once more, HPA’s Alumni Office is proud to award four $1,000 scholarships on behalf of Ka Makani alums far and wide.
Established in 1983, the Alumni Association Scholarship Award is given to students who display a breadth of interests and demonstrate sound character, leadership potential, and a commitment to their community. As we anticipate honoring a new group of students in May, we thought we would introduce you to our 2020 recipients: Morgan Davis ‘21, Xander Lai ‘21, Ava Huddleston ‘22, and Mason Hunt ‘22.
Morgan Davis ‘21
• Moved from Washington state to Hawai‘i in 2nd grade; Ka Makani ever since.
• 2020 Student Body President and Junior board member at the North Kohala Resource Center
• On the weekends, you will probably find her in the water surfing and spearfishing, or playing volleyball or soccer with friends on the beach.
What she will miss most about HPA?
“Growing up in this supportive and inclusive community has taught me so much about the person I want to become. Everyone here wants the best for you and we are striving for greatness as a community. I feel that this sense of ‘ohana is rare and hard to find and will be something I cherish for the rest of my life.”
Xander Lai ‘21
• Born and raised on Hawai‘i Island.
• Loves to garden, and when he’s not working in the Ulu Mālama Terrace Garden, he’s in the GPAC woodshop building props for the next musical.
What he appreciates most about HPA?
“The obvious passion my teachers have for their subjects drives me to be engaged with the class’s content and to try my best. I will most miss the global community that HPA provides. Having friends from all over the world helps me shape my own worldview to a more global perspective.”
Ava Huddleston ‘22
• Born in Dallas, Texas, but grew up on Maui.
• At HPA, discovered an interest in springboard diving and pole vaulting, and helped to start the coding club.
• Most interested in astronomy and astrophysics, but she loves learning about all areas of science.
What she would like to say to our alums?
“Thank you so much to all the alumni who made this award possible. It was an honor to be recognized.”
Mason Hunt ‘22
• Grew up on the east side of Kaua’i, but calls Waimea home now.
• All-around athlete who especially enjoys basketball, soccer, track—and fishing!
His message to alums?
“Thank you all for serving as role models and helping out the HPA community!”
If you’d like to direct a gift to the Alumni Association Scholarship Fund, visit our giving page or contact us at email@example.com.